It's about diving. And cats.

Me diving

Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Cuddly Slugs: Part 3

When I started this series, I had the best intention to post once a week, but then a squirrel ran by (I got distracted) and it was five months later. 🙀  Better late than never, though.

I am sad to report that I have no pictures of the slug that I made in 2012.  And I have no idea who won the slug, so I can't even hit that person up for a picture!  (So if you happen to have the slug, put me out of my misery and let me know!)  I've searched high and low in our network-attached storage device, email accounts, phones, and Facebook, and I can't find any pictures.  In the summer of 2013, my laptop was stolen (along with everything else of value in our house, which is luckily not that much), so I'm pretty sure that's why I have no photographic evidence.  For a while, I also couldn't even remember what slug I made.  And then I stumbled across some of the fabric that I used to make it, and I finally remembered it was a Doto amyra.  Dotty the Doto!
Photo by Robert Lee
Dotty the Doto component

(Don't worry, that will be the last sad story about a stuffed slug lost to history in this series.)

In 2013, after having two years to recover/forget how tricky it was to make the Spanish shawl, I decided to made another aeolid -- a Flabellina trilineata.  It really wasn't any easier the second time, and overall I don't think it was awesome as the original.  But the glowing lines that it's named for looked pretty nice.  John and Carol won the slug that year, and Carol was *really* excited to finally get one!
... the trilineata
Photo by Clinton Bauder
I think somewhere around this year, I stopped naming the slugs.  I just couldn't make a good name out of trilineata. (I don't think the Spanish shawl got a name either.)

In 2014, I was once again traumatized by the aeolid-making experience from the previous year, and decided to go a bit simpler.  (I was also probably hosed at work, which may have contributed to that decision.)  So I went with a Tochuina tetraquetra (which has since been renamed), which is a cool, pretty dorid.  I used beads and sequins to make the glowing tubercles, and ribbon for the fringe of gills that runs around the mantle.

Photo by Clinton Bauder
Photo by Dionna House :)

I also lost all photographic evidence of this slug, but luckily, who was the Dionna winner, took some pictures for me.  Thanks, Dionna!

That's it for today.  I promise the next installment will be in less than 5 months!

No comments: