It's about diving. And cats.

Me diving

Saturday, September 19, 2020

Road Trip: Evanston, WY

Waiting to charge
We had done a little bit of research on backup options if it was too smoky in Idaho, and based on that plus the weather/air quality forecast for the next few days, we decided to do a 3 day/2 night backpacking trip in the High Uinta Wilderness to Red Castle Lake.  We decided that the most reasonable place to stay the night before was beautiful Evanston, Wyoming.  There's a supercharger there and some reasonable hotels to stay at.  We stayed at the Hampton Inn, which quite conveniently has a super charger in its parking lot (though we didn't realize that when we picked it -- I picked it based on my perception of its price-performance).

Red monkey butt amber ale


We had a night to kill in Evanston, and after a bit of research, we decided to go to Suds Brothers Brewery.  If nothing else, it would give me a good opportunity to continue documenting our trip in Untappd (which I'd been doing a pretty good job of so far).  I gave the Red Monkey Butt Amber Ale a 3.5.  They had fried cheese curds on the menu; Rob was not familiar with the concept of cheese curds (except in poutine form), so we had to give those a try :)  A couple of other observations on our short time in Evanston -- there are a lot of big pickups everywhere that you go (I was jealous) and wearing masks didn't seem to be a thing that had spread to these parts.  When we walked into the restaurant, everyone was looking at us like we were aliens, and I think that is why.

When we got back to our hotel, we packed our backpacks.  Somehow, I ended up with a really light (but full) backpack after our first attempt, so we ended up trading a few puffy lightweight items (like my coat) for heavier items (cheese and sausage) to try to make up the difference.  Eventually I decided not to complain anymore about my pack being too light :)


No comments: